Sunday, May 9, 2010

Craft Show Recap


As mentioned, last Sunday I participated in a mini craft show with the Etsy Los Angeles Street Team.  Here's what I ended up taking:

Fold-up table
Fold-up chair
Fabric to cover table
Bed-risers (to make the table taller and minimize shoppers' need to bend down to look at items)
Mirror
Jewelry stands and small dishes to display bracelets and ring
Business cards and magnets
Newsletter sign-up sheet on clipboard
Scissors
Price tags
My tools and some materials (ended up making a few things while I was there, and selling one of them)
Pens
Stapler
Gift bags prepared with A&C sticker on the outside and business card inside
Cash float
Apron to hold cash and cellphone
Camera
Water and snacks

Didn't bring but should have:
Sunscreen (we ended up setting up outside)

As you can see from the photo, the black jewelry bust I made out of foam-core board didn't make an appearance -- I tried setting it up but the first gust of wind blew it over.  So that will be an indoor prop only.

The first few hours were very slow, only a trickle of people came through.  It picked up for the last few hours and I ended up selling 5 items -- not enough to recoup my outlay for the table, stands, etc but I was terrified I would sell absolutely nothing so at least that didn't happen!

The number one thing I learned from this experience was this -- when choosing a craft show to vendor at, consider the location and targeted audience of the craft show carefully.  The people coming through this one seemed to have a very particular look and my jewelry didn't really fit in with it -- hence why I was happy to make any sales at all.

I just finished taking photos of the new rings I have made.  These were my most popular items at the craft show (though that may have also been the lower price point).  I'll post a sneak peek of these tomorrow before beginning to list them on Etsy on Monday.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment