|Some of 2010's highlights|
1. Friendship - DAMN I have some amazing friends. Seriously. The kind that I can really say are "my people." Most of them are scattered around California, though I have reconnected with a couple of wonderful friends back in Auckland. And of course the fabulous women I met through the Flying Lessons e-course and through blogland in general.
2. Creativity - it's been quite a year of it. I've made jewelry, painted, taken classes in sewing and needle-felting and soap-making (I think I did them all this year at least), knitted a scarf, made cards, baked and decorated cakes, taken photos...
3. Activity - I trained for and completed a half-marathon with two of the aforementioned amazing friends. I also feel like I can finally say , age 29, that I can swim (albeit only 25 yards at a time).
4. Discovery - Through training for the half-marathon, I discovered discipline I didn't know I had but have always wanted. I also discovered new interests and enjoyment in all the crafts I tried.
5. Fun - all of the above! I also saw some fantastic concerts at the Hollywood Bowl, had some great nights out dancing, and a hundred other days and moments of fun throughout 2010.
The other kind:
1. Clusterf*ck - the year started off with a clusterf*ck of epic proportions on the work front. Somehow, I survived what felt unsurvivable. Enough said.
2. Upheaval - the move back to NZ. I have had several years in a row of upheaval, I guess generally of my own creating. I'm ready for that to stop.
3. Frustration - again mostly with the move back here, the difficulties in getting jewelry supplies, pulling out of the craft show, and then my feelings on the jewelry I made this year also.
4. Boredom (periodically) - this cropped up throughout the year, despite all the fun and activity. It looms overhead now too during this period of unemployment, but I've been keeping it at bay this last week by sewing. More on that to come...
5. Stress - the move again. Since that took many months of planning and consideration, I felt like much of 2010 was overshadowed by this.
What I want for 2011:
1. Discipline - I loved experiencing this during my half-marathon training this year. I have always thought of myself as quite an undisciplined person that can't finish anything. I love that that's changing. I've signed up to start a Postgraduate Diploma in Health Management via extramural study, so I'm going to need discipline to juggle that and the new job with everything else I want to do in 2011.
2. Peace - more tea-drinking, more yoga, more meditation. More mindfulness and pausing and calm. More acceptance and letting-go of those things that really need to be let go of already!
3. Fun - again! In 2010 I think I gained a better sense of what I find fun -- physical challenges, creativity, learning new skills, the occasional night out -- and a better sense of what I don't -- going to events out of obligation, spending time with people that I don't really connect with. I'd love to improve my swimming enough to complete a mini-triathlon. I also want to do the Tough Guy/Gal Challenge (extreme mud-run!) and am contemplating the full Auckland Marathon. I have this strong urge to try Stand-Up Paddling. I also want to keep learning, and keep taking art/craft classes and workshops. Last but definitely not least, I want to continue to meet more of "my people" who will join me in all these adventures.
4. Comfort - hopefully around May 2011, I'll be in a position to find Kenzo and I a new (rented) home to call our own. I have to pretty much start over with acquiring all new household furniture and items, so I want to really create a comfortable haven for us.
5. And now, I need your suggestions. I can't think of a fifth that doesn't fit in with one of the others. What would you suggest?