Monday, April 19, 2010

Weekend Fun - Blueberry-Lemon Muffins and Necklaces


Another productive Sunday.  First, I ran 7.5 miles (12km).  This is the furthest I have ever run, but not the furthest I will ever run.  On June 5th, bar unforeseen horrible circumstances, I will be running the See Jane Run Half Marathon in Alameda, CA.  Wish me luck.


After the run, I went back to sleep.  That is the only reasonable response to running 7.5 miles.

Later:  I was very excited when I thought I came across a recipe for blueberry-lemon muffins on the blog "Musings of a Gem" recently. I say "I thought" because it's actually a recipe for blueberry OR lemon muffins, so I decided to adapt it to make the combination.  They are light, puffy, sweet, and completely devoid of nutritional goodness (bar the blueberries).  They should definitely be eaten warm with lashings of butter.  Everything is better with butter.  (And bacon.  And sour cream.  Though feel free to disagree with me on any of those).

Blueberry-Lemon Muffins (adapted from Musings of a Gem)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • 1/2 cup of butter, melted
  • 1 medium egg, whisked
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1 cup blueberries (I used 1/2 cup.  It needs more).
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (could increase to 2t if desired)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions:
  • Preheat your oven to 350F (180c).
  • Lightly grease a 12-muffin pan.
  • In one bowl, combine the melted butter, whisked egg, and milk. 
  • In a second bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine.
  • Add the blueberries, lemon rind, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
  • Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan.  Fill 3/4 of the way (or more!) to get nice big muffins.
  • Bake for approx 20-30mins, or until golden brown and a knife comes out clean.  Mine took 23mins.
  • Cool in the pan on a rack for 15mins, then turn out onto the rack.

So I ate three four muffins today.  Purely so I could be sure this recipe was good enough to post. Oh shhh...

Later still:  I made more necklaces, and re-photographed some I already have up on Etsy.  I also took some more photos of me wearing them.  This is an interesting process.  I will spare you the extremely low-tech details.  They are not wonderful, but I think people want to know what the necklaces look like when worn, because giving measurements just isn't enough.  What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK with that run! You can do it. =)
    Those muffins look yummy. And the necklace is pretty. I made strawberry lemon cookies today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberry-lemon cookies sound fab! Would love the recipe if you have it handy!

    ReplyDelete